Doping control on the territory of the Republic of Serbia can be performed by the authorized and qualified doping controllers only, i.e., persons who posses authorization card issued by the Anti-Doping Agency of Republic of Serbia (hereinafter: ADAS) or authorization card recognized as equivalent by ADAS.
ADAS is competent for determination, organization and carrying out of in-competition doping control on the territory of Republic of Serbia, except for the ones directly carried out by the competent international sports federation organized in Republic of Serbia. However, ADAS may undertake in agreement with the competent international sports federation the organization and carrying out of doping control in international competition.
ADAS is competent for determination, organization and carrying out of doping control out-of-competition.
Control may be accomplished by taking urine of blood sample.
Range of duties of doping controllers related to carrying out of doping control is as follows:
- if there is a conflict of interest related to the result of doping control they do not undertake a doping control;
- send notification, personally or in exceptional cases over the phone, to an athlete that he/she is selected for doping control, that he must undertake doping control (if an athlete has been notified orally, subsequently written notification is to be delivered;
- check up if the notification of third person about doping control before notification of an athlete is required, such situation exists in case of juvenile athlete and if disability of an athlete requires such action;
- to notify an athlete about the place of doping control, i.e., where DCS is;
- to ensure that there is no possibility for manipulation while providing specimens;
- to notify in the name of which institution (ADAS) they are carrying out doping control;
- to introduce an athlete with his/her rights and obligations;
- to notify athletes that from the moment of doping control notification to the conclusion of doping control they are not allowed to be out of sight of doping controllers, i.e., authorized chaperon;
- they have appropriate authorization card issued by ADAS and/or recognized as equivalent, and with it they prove their identity to an athlete, and on request of an athlete or his/her legal representative they prove their identities with the providing additional Identity Card (Passport) in order to match data with the data from the authorization card;
- before the sports competition begins they visit the sports site, i.e., the organizer of a competition and inform appropriate official (e.g., technical delegate) about needs for doping control and to ensure that DCS is adequately equipped;
- to ensure that ADAS and/or international sports association has sent all forms and kits for doping control and that they take care about security thereof;
- to ensure, if necessary, chaperons for athletes to the place determined for providing specimens, i.e., DCS, who posses appropriate authorization (accreditation) and are familiar with the plan of the competition and scheme of rooms in the sports object;
- to ensure that athletes and their chaperons understand which type of specimen is to be taken and what is procedure for it;
- to allow to athletes to re-hydrate adequately before providing a specimen;
- to enable to an athlete to independently choose a vial for taking a specimen and a kit;
- to enable to an athlete to take with him one person as a chaperon and, if necessary, a translator;
- on request of juvenile athlete to enable presence of his/her legal representative while providing specimen, wherein the legal representative is not going to directly supervise providing of urine sample, except the athlete wishes it;
- to supervise taking of samples in the station for doping control;
- to accurately and completely fill out all documentation in the appropriate forms;
- to accept and note all appeals and objections on irregularity related to doping control procedure and to notify ADAS and/or international sports association about it;
- to take away all object that are used of for which there is suspicion that are used in violation of an anti-doping rule and on any other suitable way ensure acquiring of proofs about violation of an anti-doping rule.
If an athlete refuses to accept or sign notification about doping control or states that he is not going to come to doping control, a doping controller notifies an athlete about his obligation to take doping test, including explanation to an athlete that if he refuses to undertake testing he/she is to be considered as if the test turned positive and therefore he/she may bear sanctions. Athlete’s refusal is to be taken into the appropriate form.
Athlete’s obligations related to doping control are as follows:
- when notified about his/her selection for doping control to sign appropriate form;
- to deliver to doping controller document for personal identification (Identity Card; passport; valid license with photography);
- to follow a doping controller and/or his/her chaperon to the place for doping control, i.e., DCS, as soon as possible, i.e., within 60 minutes from the moment of notification that he/she is selected for doping control latest, if a doping controller did not determine other time;
- to notify a doping controller if he/she is further participating in competition the same day. In such case, a doping controller may order the testing to be performed later during the day, but only if the athlete is under constant escort until he/she returns to the station for doping control to provide sample;
- to provide urine and/or blood sample;
- to leave the place for doping control, i.e., DCS with approval of doping controller only, if he/she is to be guided and supervised all the time by the doping controller or his/her chaperon (time of leaving and returning is to be entered into the appropriate form);
- to respect rules for carrying out of doping control determined with these Regulations and directions provided by a doping controllers.
Doping control can be carried out and when the athlete does not have a document for personal identification if he/she is personally know to a doping controller.
Duties of the competition organizer where carrying out of doping control is determined are as follows:
- to ensure adequate room and necessary equipment for doping control;
- to ensure financial means for complete undertaking of doping control; acquisition of doping kits, daily expense allowance for doping controllers (and chaperons, if they are required), lodging and transportation of doping controllers (and chaperons, if they are required), sending of specimens into the laboratory, analysis of sent specimens and other expenses of ADAS and/or international sports association;
- to cooperate with doping controllers and authorized officials of ADAS;
- to issue accreditations needed for participation in doping control and following up of a competition to doping controllers and authorized officials of ADAS (Director, chairman and vice-presidents of the Managing Board of ADAS, Chairman of TUE Committee, Chairman of the Anti-Doping Board) determined by ADAS.
Sara Krstic Matovic
Milica Vukasinovic Vesic